Thursday, March 10, 2011

Rainy Day humdrums

Why is it when you have to do something that you don't necessarily love to do, the weather has to suck also. I guess I should appreciate the fact that it is raining since I cannot be outside until late anyway because I have to attend parent/ teacher conferences. Since I teach 90% seniors, their parents do not feel inclined to attend conferences to check in on their daughters. I guess at this point in time they feel it is no longer necessary. I, however, still have to sit there waiting for that one parent to come along and inquire about their daughter who happens to be the star of the class, and the parents want to know what more can she do. I mean the poor child already has a 99.9 %, what more do they want her to do. At this point, I tend to get very flippant and tell them they should take their daughter out to a nice restaurant and celebrate her. The parents walk away looking at me as though I have grown horns or something. Please if you have a child that is doing that well in school cut her some slack and celebrate her hard work.
I am just constantly amazed by it. The parents that I need to see never show up, never call, to inquire about their daughter and how she is doing. Perhaps if they showed some interest, the child might just do a little better. These are the ones I feel sorry for and wish I could help them along. Those are my feelings about parent/teacher conferences. So there!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment